I got so little sleep this weekend I am on the verge of collapsing onto the couch and not getting up, so I thought I’d better jot down some favorites from the weekend — in no particular order.
1. One member of our leadership team was unable to attend due to health problems. In order to make her feel missed, we called her and sang “Where, Oh Where Are You Tonight?” at the top of our lungs. I think it made her feel better.
2. Getting to know our speaker, Ruth, better. Her story is here. We discovered that she grew up in Simi Valley, CA, about twenty minutes’ drive from where I lived in Camarillo. We bonded over books and music. She is an inspiring lady, using her suffering to the glory of God
3. Stretching my teaching muscles a little. I took one of the three teaching slots, and the ladies there got what they paid for. 😉 Seriously, this was a far more serious assignment than I’d been handed before. It is always good to take risks and trust the Lord to use your own efforts to the glory of God. The Lord used the material to hammer me in a couple ways.
4. Working through a hard time with a friend and clearing up misunderstandings, expressing our need for one another, and getting back to the Walk. These things are never pleasant, but they yield good fruit always.
5. Karoake. My selections included “The Gambler” (aren’t you proud, Mom? I don’t think I even needed the words); “When I’m Sixty Four,” and “Angel of the Morning.”
6. One of my friends surprised everyone by doing a Tina Turner dance. That’s really all I can say. It’s a far greater story than that, but she would come over and kill me in my sleep if I told you.
7. The most “senior” lady amongst us was the only one to pull a practical joke. There’s a lesson there for all of us about getting older.
8. We sang “Great is Thy Faithfulness” twice…ladies singing acapella in the middle of the woods on a mountain. Nice.
9. Increased vulnerability, trust, and honest conversation amongst everyone.
10. Feeling justified in wearing a sweatshirt, sweater, scarf, and hat on a walk on Friday.
There may be something more to that last one…I have had a hard time regulating my body temperature today and I’m starting to wonder if I’m getting sick. Maddie has a fever tonight and I may not be far behind her. Which leads me to #11…
11. Emailing the music director to tell him I won’t be in choir tomorrow due to Maddie’s illness, and admitting that there will no doubt be rumors about how I’m sleeping in and missing church because of the retreat. His quick-witted reply was “It was probably all that drinking….”
(No, there wasn’t any drinking. Though if you saw us laughing you might wonder.)
It was a GREAT weekend! Thanks for your prayers.