Today is the last day of January. This past week was one of extremes. On the same day that my dear friend Laura was laboring and welcoming her new gift, David was walking employees back and forth from meetings where they were informed the company no longer needed them.
Overall, the company laid off close to fifty employees on Thursday. We are of course thankful that David still has a place there, but sad for those who have left or are leaving in the next few months.
It was a day when I felt the weight of the extremes of the human existence so acutely — such joy and such sadness. A new baby’s cry and a single mom’s tears over how she might provide for her kids.
Thankful today for:
19. catching up with faraway friends, one in Ohio and one in Italy
20. increased courage
21. increased truth-telling
22. gracious ears
24. faithful friends
25. growth in my children
26. pinewood derby cars, father-son bonding
27. soup, a nourishing gift from a friend
29. fresh air and warmth — close to 70 yesterday!
30. watching my daughter fawn over “Ella baby”
31. steady employment and favor with bosses
Finally, I wanted to include this because it’s how I’m feeling this morning: